Smartphone SIM FAQs.
What will my phone number be?
All dataroam Smartphone SIM cards come with a UK number, starting +44 and a European number, starting with +372.
Will the dataroam Smartphone SIM card work in my handset and/or tablet?
dataroam SIM card is a Triple-SIM, which means it will work in any unlocked device and fits all phones and tablets.
If you are not using a smartphone and are travelling to the USA, Japan, South Korea or the Americas, we recommend checking the compatibility of your device with your country of travel.
Very few mobile phones will not work with dataroam at all.
a) Locked phones
dataroam works only in unlocked mobile phones. When you insert your dataroam in a locked phone, you may see a message like this:
"Restricted SIM", "Insert correct SIM", "SIM registration failed". Please contact your handset provider to have the phone unlocked.
b) Some Samsung, LG, Blackberry and iPhone users might need to take the following steps:
A. Find the dataroam menu in your phone menu (Main Menu on Blackberry, General – Phone – SIM Applications on iPhone) and choose "Settings".
B. Press "YES" or "OK".
C. Input "1101" and choose "OK" (there should be a message on the screen that says "CC OptionX: ON").
D. Go ahead and make calls as usual. To turn this option OFF, enter 1102.
c) A small number of handsets or older style phones (5 years +) may require a different dialling method when making calls with dataroam.
Try to dial in the following mode: *146* 00 country code, telephone number #. Press call.
How do I activate the SIM card?
Every dataroam Smartphone SIM card is pre-activated and ready to use for calling or data. Calling and texting are automatically activated once you pick up a network for the first time.
How long does my credit or SIM card last? Can my balance or the SIM card itself expire?
The dataroam Smartphone SIM card airtime/credit lasts up to 30 days from first use. Your time allowance will start running from the moment you activate the data plan.
Can I use the SIM card in tablets, iPads and modems?
The dataroam Smartphone SIM card is a Triple-SIM, which means it will work in any unlocked device and fits all phones and tablets. When your SIM card arrives, you can simply apply it to any unlocked device you wish to use it in.
Can I connect to wifi-hotspots?
Yes. You can use the SIM card in any unlocked device and also connect to wifi-hotspots.
Where can I find the rates?
The rates for all countries are listed on the product page.
Do I need to configure the data or APN settings?
You do not need to make any changes to data or APN settings. The dataroam Smartphone SIM card has pre-installed data settings for our GPRS service, so you do not need to change anything.
How can I check the balance on the SIM card?
To check the balance, you can dial 099.
How can I check the balance of the data plan?
To check the balance, you can dial *146*942#
How do I start using the dataroam Smartphone SIM card?
1.Carefully punch out the SIM card from the plastic holder and insert it into your unlocked GSM mobile phone as instructed in the phone’s user manual.
2. Turn on your phone.
If your phone prompts you to enter a PIN, enter the four-digit PIN code (it is provided on the plastic holder).
3. Your phone will now have a new number that works in over 200 countries! Let your friends, family and business partners know your new number and start saving up to 85% on international roaming charges!
How do I make a call?
1. Dial ‘00’ or ‘+’ followed by the country code and telephone number. Press call.
eg. +44 20 1234 1234
UK LONDON PHONE NUMBER
eg. 0044 20 1234 1234
UK LONDON PHONE NUMBER
2. In a few seconds, your telephone will ring. Answer as you normally would.
3. As dataroam connects your call, you will hear a dial tone.
How do I redirect calls?
During the time between trips, you can redirect calls coming to your dataroam number to any international number. There is no additional cost for redirection to numbers in over 120 countries.
To activate call redirection:
- with dataroam in your handset, dial *146*081*00-country code-phone number#, e.g. *146*081*0044123456789#
- you can now switch the phone off; all incoming calls will be redirected to the specified number.
To disable call redirection:
- with dataroam in your handset, dial *146*080
How do I use voicemail?
dataroam offers a voicemail service that handles incoming calls when the user is unavailable or busy.
How to activate voicemail:
- Dial 091 (or *146*091#) and press "call".
- You will see "Voicemail activated"on the screen; the incoming calls will now be redirected to your voicemail if you’re unable to answer your phone.
How to deactivate voicemail:
- Dial 090 (or *146*090#) and press the "call" button.
- You will see "Voicemail deactivated"on the screen.
How to check the number of voicemail messages:
- Dial 094 (or *146*094#) and press "call".
- You will see "You have X new messages in your voice mailbox" on the screen.
How to listen to your voicemail messages:
- Dial 095 (or *146*095#) and press "call". You’ll see "Wait for call" and, in a few seconds, your phone will ring.
- Answer as you normally would and you’ll hear how many messages you have. Press 1 to listen to the messages.